Below is the original light fitting that the builders put in the house (in all the rooms). I was saddened to find that they are plastic and sold at the local hardware store for $5 each (no expense spared on the builders behalf!!) It has since been my mission to replace these light fittings with something original that I love (without paying a fortune).
I picked up a fake birdcage at "The Reject Shop" for $10. Unfortunately, like most of my projects, I didn't get before photos of the cage, because I just wanted to get started, but essentially the birdcage remains the same, just with a hole in the bottom now. I used the old light fitting as a template, to draw a circle in the middle. And from that moment on, this is what my thought process was like... Can I drill a hole in the bottom of the cage? Oh, yes I can. Well how close do I need to drill the second hole to make it easy to cut the metal? Oh, not that, close. Better drill another hole, oops too far apart. Any way seventy billion holes and a pair of wire cutters later, I had a large hole cut out of the bottom of the birdcage. Its not perfectly round, and it's pretty rough round the edges, but it is a hole.
So then I thought, I will just see if it fits around the light. Yay, do a little happy dance, it does.
I then added the butterfly by using a stenciling cutter and cutting out 3 butterflys in contrasting scrap paper, and gluing the middle together. It not that hard, and I will take photos of how I did it when I make more (this one was an experiment). Anyhoo, little angel has her own pet butterfly.
Today, I have changed up the light globe, as you can see in the above photo it was a spiral energy efficient globe, but I found an energy efficient globe that looks more like the conventional globe shape. Love the look of this much better.
I have just cottoned onto DIY lightfittings, and I would love to see what you have come up with. Please share your links, so I can stalk you :-)