This is a post I have been meaning to uhhhh... post. It was my first major DIY job. Well, over a period of 5 years, yes, you read correctly, 5 years, I have stripped and stained the chairs. Last weekend I got enthusiastic and finished off the table. Which I just love the look of, but frankly, the chairs were letting the table down.
- The improved chairs
I reuphostered the chairs. The material is a grey/cream stripped material that I got from Spotlight. It was an end of roll special. Although located within the furnishing fabrics, I think that it is very lightweight, so it may not last the distance. However with two toddlers, and at $8/metre I figured if it lasts me 5 years, I will just change it.
Reupholstering the seat is easy, I just unscewed the seat from the chair (from underneath) and stapled the fabric on. With stripped fabric, just keep checking that it is straight. and staple all the sides first, then tackle the corners.
After I did all the chair seats, I tackled the backs.
The backs of the chairs prooved a little more difficult. I had some staples showing where I had joined the back piece of fabric to the chair. So, I added some piping to hide the staples. I think that adds a bit of "something" to the chairs. I love the contrast the black piping adds, and it seems to break up the grey. Love, love, love it.
So there you have it. My first real DIY. And it is a success as far as I am concerned.